Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Austin is HERE!



Philip 'Austin' Balsley arrived 10/22/2010 at 12:24am weighing 7lbs 2ozs and 20 inches long. Austin was delivered by the UNC Midwives in the birthing suite next door to where I delivered Ben almost 3 years ago. Labor went very well. The delivery was a bit bumpy - Austin had meconium in his fluid, the cord around his neck and was in a 'compound' presentation which means his hand was coming out with his head. But our midwife took it all in stride, gave me very clear instructions and Austin was delivered safely. Austin went right to my chest and then onto the NICU team which was awaiting him in our room. He was able to stay in our room and never left my sight. His APGARs were 8 and 9. The NICU team checked him out and gave him the all clear to stay with us and head up to the regular nursery.



The entire experience was wonderful. I was blessed with good timing. Amy was down at our house all week and was able to drive me to my midwives, then onto the hospital and pick up Ben and take care of him while I was in labor. Of course on top of being my guardian angel during my labor she also painted Austin's nursery (see below). Amy you truly are a gem, I love you sister and your boots :)








No comments:

Post a Comment