Sunday, April 22, 2012

This too shall pass.....


This sweet boy has had a heck of a year.

Since the beginning of 2012 Austin has had:
  • Minor surgery for bilateral tube placement
  • Enlarged spleen
  • X-rays and blood work up to rule out cancer
  • Turned out to be Mono
  • Both hands slammed in the sliding door of the van
  • Strep throat
  • Hand, Foot and Mouth 
  • Yeast infection
  • Broken his left arm


I do actually have another child - his name is Ben, he is around here somewhere.  Probably hidden beneath a pile of dirty laundry that I've been too exhausted and overwhelmed to address.  


Ben has been incredible.  Understanding, patient and playing the big brother protector role like it's his job.  Benji - you my love are a Rockstar.

On Wednesday I got a call from Austin's daycare that he had fallen....I barely heard what the woman said on the phone all I could hear were his cries in the background.  They were different.  They made my stomach drop.  Something was not right.  

As I ran out of work with my wonderful co-workers coming after me with all the bags I had left behind - the distance between work and daycare seemed like an eternity.   All I could hear were those cries and all I could think of was how I wasn't there holding him.  By the time I arrived at his school, Austin was quietly playing with the train table.  He was transitioning toys back and forth between hands and he was acting okay.  But something deep in my Mommy-gut knew.....


After a trip to Urgent care and a splint placed we settled in at home.   Austin would not leave my side.   He stayed snuggled into me and quietly would utter, 'tank you Mama, tank you'.


Thursday we had Austin's cast placed.   Our orthopedics appointment was awful.   Aside from the doctor seeing us an hour and a half after our scheduled appointment, the nurse removed Austin's splint as soon as they put us in a room.   We spent an hour trying to juggle Austin with no protection on his arm while we waited.....when the doctor finally came in he announced 'This must be Joseph!'.  

Apparently there was a paperwork mix up and I was told not to get upset because we were after all seeing a specialist.

Right.  
That made it all better.


The silver lining?  Austin was so exhausted he slept through the cast placement.

And the cast has been lightyears better than the splint.


And more on the positive side.....my neighbors are basically superheros.   They have scooped Ben up into their homes.   Life sized balloons have been delivered.   Our grass has been mowed.  Beers have magically shown up on our porch.  Girls nights have been arranged and saved my sanity.

My co-workers are angels.  Within hours of Austin's x-rays, they had arranged coverage of my clinic appointments.  They have offered kind words, hugs and most importantly their own ears for listening.


When we finally collapsed into bed on Thursday night - Brannon just looked at me and announced, 'we are never leaving North Carolina - these people are amazing'

Amen.


This too shall pass......

No comments:

Post a Comment