In regards to Benjamin, thank you for all the kind posts, messages and emails. He is doing really well. His appointment went fantastic - I will update more later but for now I want to focus on another recent development in our family.
It began back in January.
This monkey started a persistent cough.....
For weeks and weeks it would not let up.
We went to our pediatrician.
A few ear infections, a consistent runny nose, and worsen cough eventually landed us at the allergists office.
Turns out Austin is allergic to dogs and cats.
Also turns out Austin has asthma.
Lucky for Austin - his Daddy has had asthma his whole life.
Brannon has not missed a beat with Austin's wheezing. Waking up in the middle of the night in coughing fits, coughing and wheezing so hard he throws up - it has been stressful. I have been frazzled and anxious.
But Brannon? Two-year-old in respiratory distress at three in the morning?
He just scoops Austin up and it seems like in one motion the two of them are in the bathroom with the inhaler and steam rolling out of the shower. I am still stumbling out of bed and I can hear him on the other side of the bathroom door coaching Austin 'two more breathes buddy, you can do it - you are such a strong boy'
I've totally fallen in love with my husband all over again.
We have had a pretty sick boy on our hands.
I have not found a better motivator than my child being sick to change something......for instance flooring....furniture.....laundry habits.....
We needed to switch to leather couches - on a budget of 'we-weren't-planning-on-this'
I found the leather couches I wanted at Ashley furniture - made a list of three sets I liked. Then went to the Home Comfort Clearance Center (for those of you in Raleigh - it is incredible) - I got one of the sets I had picked out on the showroom floor at Ashley Furniture for 1000 dollars at the clearance center instead of the 1450 price tag at Ashley's. Brannon found a coupon for the Home Comfort store on his iPhone for 100 dollars off and we got the couch and loveseat for 900 dollars.
Then I listed our lovely but 7-year-old couches on Craigslist and sold them for 500 dollars.
Grand total for a new leather couch and loveseat.......$400.
Never underestimate a mother with a sick kid - on a budget.
Then it was on to the flooring in the bedrooms - of course the budget was not really there for it but we were willing to make whatever we could swing work. I've learned quite a lot about flooring and myself in this process.
Flooring is really expensive and I hate to pay a cent more than I need to for something. I did a bit of shopping around and finally settled with a surplus warehouse that is situated in a little-bit-shady-part of town in a large building that does not have any heating but DOES have awesome prices and incredible employees.
So we bought a lot of flooring and then installed it ourselves because I have a lot of trouble paying people to do something I am completely capable of figuring out on my own.
The old and nasty but functional carpet in Austin's room - I know it looks bad - I am judging myself looking at this picture....
Brannon and I basically high-fived ourselves for a week after we finished this job.
Then we did Ben's bedroom the next weekend.
Then we could barely stand up for about a week....but the floors look fantastic and guess what?
Austin can breathe.
Everyone is much happier.
Except for Abby, our sweet dog. We have had her for seven years and it looks like we will have give her up, however, after watching Austin struggle the past few months I understand the gravity and necessity of this latest transition. It will stink to not have our Abigail but having to keep Austin on three different medications just to keep our dog is just not acceptable for Brannon and I.
Like I said - long story, mostly a happy one too - we have new furniture and new floors :) Maybe we will get a goldfish or a turtle when we transition into a dog-less home, who knows.....
No comments:
Post a Comment