Two Thousand and Twelve.
In the Chinese zodiac - 2012 is the year of the dragon. When describing 'what to expect in the year of the dragon' it is stated 'expect a wild ride'.
Talk about an understatement.
I have learned so much this year. My marriage has been tested in ways I did not think possible. Parenthood stretched and pulled me in directions that I did not expect for at least another decade. I have discovered more of myself - who I am, what I am made of and what my limits are.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A glance back on the year.
January - Ben's 4th Birthday Party
In the Spring we took a trip to Highland County
Daddy turned 29.
Austin broke his arm in April..... and we barely slept for the 5 weeks the cast was on.
Ben collapsed on a trip to the zoo.
(about 5 minutes after this picture was taken - he couldn't walk)
Ben was rushed to UNC hospital and prepped an appendectomy...it turned out to be a weird infection.
The next week, we headed to the beach for our vacation.
And the real journey began.....
Shock. Disbelief. Pain. Grief. Anger. Confusion.
We finally came up with a motto.....plain and simple.
This sucks.
Because it did and still does.
Slowly over time we have found our barrings and our strength. The ground beneath us does not always feel steady and we definitely stumble but we are trying....
The year marched on even though we felt like time was standing still....and the summer came to a close.
We celebrated our 5th anniversary.
Ben went back for his final year of preschool.
We took some long hikes.
Walked in memory of Grandaddy.
Fall arrived and Austin turned two.
Before we knew it - I was turning 29 and Christmas was nearing.
We spent Christmas at home and for Ben's 5th birthday he asked to be with his Nana and PawPaw.
We spent the day sledding and celebrating the excitement of five.
Here we are at January 1st - the threshold of 2013.
Excited for the hope and promise a new year brings. A fresh start. New beginning. My hope for this year is simple - health and happiness.
Welcome 2013 - we have been looking forward to your arrival.
Happy New Year from the Balsleys.


No comments:
Post a Comment