Several weeks ago I braved the NC State Fair alone with both boys.
It seemed like a good idea at the time....
Ben was really not impressed by the animals.
This may or may not have been due to the fact that I pretty much pretended the rides we passed by did not exist.
I did, however, let the boys watch five performances by the singing vegetable garden.
Riveting stuff. If you are one.
My favorite memory of the fair as a child is winning fish. I wanted to share this with Ben so we went on a mission to win a fish.
After ten dollars worth of ping pong ball throws - we skipped away with two new friends and a lot of pride.
Ben's Fish - 'Superhero Pokey Man Ben'
Austin's Fish - 'Axel'
_____________________________________________________________________
On the way home Ben discussed the superpowers he suspected each fish possessed and where they might live in our house.
Since Axel and Superhero Pokey Man Ben are our family's first fish - we arrived home to no fish bowl. I pulled out my biggest and favorite vase to serve as a fish palace.
With Austin on one hip and Ben excitedly standing behind me I lifted the large water filled vase out of the sink and it slipped....and it shattered.....everywhere.....
The good news was both the boys were fine. The bad news I slashed my hand pretty badly.
I ended up with five stitches.
And we no longer had anything even mildly appropriate to put the fish in.
My husband, the problem solver.
Fastforward three days.
Austin's fish 'Axel' passed away during dinner on Sunday night. Ben helped with his water burial and gave a stirring prayer over the toilet 'Dear Austin's Fish - I'm sorry that you got dead. Now I am flushing you to God' - long pause - 'Mommy, do all things I flush down the toilet go to God?'
Complex questions.
That night led to a lot of questions about death and Ben sat for a good 10 minutes talking to his fish assuring him that they would be friends forever and he would live forever because he was a superhero fish.
Superhero Pokey Man Ben passed away while I was putting the boys in the bath.
And I did not have the heart to tell Ben.....
So I did the only things that seemed reasonable at the time....I left the empty beer jug on the kitchen table with a note 'Dear Ben - I am super sneaky and I escaped. Love, Superhero Pokey Man Ben'
I'm pretty sure he is visiting Grammy and Papa in Maryland or maybe Auntie Amy in Manhattan.....
And my stitches? They lasted a week longer than the actual fish.
Next year, we might try out the rides instead.......
Rest in Peace Fair Fish.
This made me laugh. And cry. But I laughed first. :)
ReplyDeleteWhen you are tired of dealing with crazy parents and bad administrators, i see your new career as a writer. Thanks for the laugh!
ReplyDelete