Saturday, January 21, 2012

Recurrent OME


In graduate school I was taught about otitis media with effusion.   I read articles about symptoms, treatment and risk factors.  I passed my exams.   Completed my comps.   But it wasn't until I was the mother of a child with OME that I truly appreciated the condition.  

Both of my boys had chronic ear infections.  For our family that meant spiking fevers of 104, antibiotic resistant infections, lots of screaming and many sleepless nights.

  Ben had tubes at 15 months and last week Austin followed in his foot steps.


Austin is now the proud owner of two green PE tubes.  He is less fussy and sleeping much better.  B and I are very thankful for those two tiny tubes and the magic they work.

Ben is very interested in the tubes.  He swipes my otoscope on a daily basis and calls himself 'Doctor, Dr. Appointment'.  Then he carefully examines Austin's outer ear with the light and announces 'well... you've got two dinosaurs in there, as long as they don't start fighting you'll be ok cause that could get really loud'

 Last week we had Ben's four year check up.  Here are the highlights:
  • Ben is 42.5 inches which means he is tall enough for the 'big kid' rides.    
  • Vaccines were traumatic, he had to get four.  It took me and three nurses to get the job done. He kicked a nurse. I made him write an apology.
  • Dr. Joe asks at each check up what he wants to be when he grows up....this time?  A Firefighter Ninja.  Later on Dr. Joe asked if Ben wanted to go to Duke or Carolina.  Ben responded, neither - I'll have to go to Ninja college. 
 ___________________________________________________________________

 Ben got a guitar for his birthday. He has it stationed on it's own stand next to his bed.  Brother loves himself a PaperJam guitar.

  Ben and Brannon have been enjoying jam sessions.

And look what we noticed on the top of Brannon's guitar....


Makes me smile.


There will be a lot of jamming out this weekend.

I have my earplugs ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment